Friday, July 30, 2010

newsies tip

New York Times magazine writers:
When writing, keep references more relevant. On more than one occasion you have referenced Peyton Place. I didn't understand the allusion and therefore the point was lost. Now I know it was a TV show that aired in the 60s, because I first asked my parents (who either scoffed at my ignorance or balked at my youth)and then looked it up myself.
Since Nick at Night show sitcoms from the 90s, I suggest keeping things from this decade to present as references to help promote a generation of new dedicated readers.
Since Peyton Place seems to have been an apartment complex where many people lived and shared secrets, more modern day allusions could be: Jersey Shore, Gossip Girl, The Hills, Keeping up with the Kardashians, and even Hannah Montana.
Not that readers should know what your talking about if you cite these shows, but they will.

1 comment:

  1. peyton place implies sophistication. i mean, after all, you had to look it up!

    ReplyDelete